The latest version 4.4 again brings many innovations and improvements for our digital signage & kiosk software FrontFace, but also the long-awaited support for the Android operating system:
With the new FrontFace Player App for Android, you can now use Android-based devices as players. In addition to tablets, these also include inexpensive media player boxes and devices with integrated Android TV. Devices with Android version 8 (“Oreo”) or higher are supported.
The FrontFace Player App for Android offers a reduced range of functions compared to the Windows version: Only non-interactive functions (classic digital signage playlists) are supported. Interactive touch menus are only supported on the Windows platform. In addition, some features such as “Hot Folder” are also not available on Android. A detailed overview of the differences between the Windows and Android versions of the FrontFace Player App can be found on the FrontFace Website.
The creation and management of content, as well as the scheduling is carried out as usual with the convenient FrontFace Assistant on Windows. Here you can manage your Android players, create, and edit playlists and then publish them on the Android players.
The new FrontFace Player App for Android is perfectly suited for simpler and cost-sensitive use cases and applications: Digital shop window advertising, menu boards for restaurants, snack bars and canteens or simple information screens, etc. – Thanks to the combination of extremely inexpensive Android hardware and the also lower-priced FrontFace Player license for Android, you can now implement appealing digital signage installations, even with very low budgets!
You can download the fully-functional, free demo version to try out both the Windows and the Android version of FrontFace 4.4!
Below you will find an overview of the most important new features and changes in version 4.4:
- NEW: FrontFace Player App for Android (8.0 “Oreo” or higher) available.
- NEW: Preview settings (resolution, etc.) can now optionally also be persisted per playlist.
- NEW: New “Plain” theme for touch menus (completely without button artwork) for even more individual design options.
- NEW: Support for certificate-based client authentication when accessing websites.
- NEW: Expert mode available in almost all dialogs (increases clarity); If an expert setting has been changed, the expert mode is automatically activated in the relevant dialog.
- NEW: Automatic check of the minimum version when opening projects (prevents projects from being opened with an outdated assistant!).
- NEW: Log files now have the file extension * .log.txt instead of .log as before
- FIX: Improved behavior when processing faulty / incompatible PDF files.
- FIX: Warning if two web browser instances (Chromium) are using the same cache at the same time.
- FIX: Last used text colors in the editor of the text media object are now saved project-wide and can therefore be reused more easily.
- FIX: Paging buttons in touch menus are displayed correctly, even if there are hidden pages under the pages to be displayed.
- FIX: Tooltips in the timer preview (scheduling) were sometimes displayed incorrectly.